Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I like it on the floor, my bed, and my chair

I am of course referring to my purse.  

Didn't you know that?  Well, if you have a penis, chances are you didn't know what I was talking about.  

Earlier this month a message was passed around on Facebook that read:

Remember the game last year about what color bra you were wearing at the moment? The purpose was to increase awareness of October Breast Cancer Awareness month. It was a tremendous success and we had men wondering for days what was with the colors and it made it to the news. This year's game has to do with your handbag/purse, where we put our handbag the moment we get home for example "I like it on the couch", "I like it on the kitchen counter", "I like it on the dresser" well u get the idea. Just put your answer as your status with nothing more than that and cut n paste this message and forward to all your FB female friends to their inbox. The bra game made it to the news. Let's see how powerful we women really are!!! REMEMBER -DO NOT PUT YOUR ANSWER AS A REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE-PUT IT IN YOUR STATUS!!! PASS THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW!

While I did partake in this "cause" I have been grappling with the idea behind it since I received said message.  Yes, it is great that we're making people aware that it is in fact Breast Cancer Awareness Month, but how does a phrase "I like it on the floor" inform us of what that actually means?  How does that tell us how to check our breasts for cancer, or how to get involved with specific causes?  Also, how does leaving the men in the dark help them out?  Men can get breast cancer too!

When I first received the message posted above, my gut reaction was to send it to all my friends (male or female) regarding it, because I really don't see the purpose with leaving the men behind.  But then the curious side of me began to wonder how far this thing could go.  (I really enjoy sociological experiments).  And within the first couple days of sending it out to the majority of my female friends only three to four of them actually posted it on their wall.  Others just responded to my own post, which I thought to be odd.  Why respond to my posting with where you "like it", how does that help?

Last year it was bra colors, which I understand a little more.  Bras equal breasts.  Purses, not so much.  And I feel that some people only commented to other people's posts of where they "like it" because it is fun and flirty and makes people think they're having sex.

Yes, it get's attention.  As seen in a great article posted earlier today, which expands on some of the ideas I'm mentioning here.  But what I think we should actually do is by educating one another on what Breast Cancer Awareness Month actually means.

Here's a website I found useful to check out for more information.

Besides, what other month strongly encourages us to feel ourselves up like this?  Not only for ourselves, but you can just tell your girl/boy friends that you're helping them keep an eye out for cancer when you're feeling their breasts next time!

YAY BOOBS!

1 comment:

  1. Referring back to October being Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I came across the article below on Jezebel.com.

    http://jezebel.com/5663067/the-scar-project-exposes-the-realities-of-breast-cancer

    This consists of some beautiful photographs of survivors of Breast Cancer. It's very heartbreaking and a reality of what this month is supposed to remind us of.
    http://www.thescarproject.org/home.html

    ReplyDelete