Friday, October 15, 2010

Dear Hate, Please Go Away. Love, Christine

Ever since the news regarding Tyler Clementi surfaced, I have not been able to let go of this aching feeling.  It's more than just my heart going out to those who feel lost, or have lost someone close to them because of hate crimes.  It's an overwhelming realization that we need to do something about it.  While I'm working on things in my head and trying to vocalize these thoughts lately, this is something I came up with to express how I feel:

WHY?
The question I keep asking myself over and over again
In hopes to gain a better understanding of the world we live in
To educate myself on matters that don't seem plausible
Yet are happening more frequently everyday
The news keeps popping up with stories
NPR blasts through my computer
I meditate in my room
Take long walks around the fields nearby
Remind myself that there is beauty in the world
There is good
There is good
There is good
Mom, can't you hear me?
Dad, can't you make all my problems go away?
Why is nobody listening?
Why is nobody caring?
Why is everyone so silent?
We all sit at our computers hour after hour
Surrounding ourselves with people
But sitting alone in our rooms
I sit and stare
Ponder
Wonder
Wonder what the world could be like
Would be like
Has the potential to be like
There can' be that much hate
There can't be that much cruelty
There can't
There can't
There can't
I don't want to hear anymore
I don't want to imagine being that mother
Who finds her child swinging from a tree
Hating him or herself because they thought
They thought
They thought
They were different than the rest
Unlike any other
That life won't get better
That dying is the answer
And pain is all they know to feel
STOP.
Make it all go away
Stop the stories from feeding into my ears
Let the voices proclaim love instead
Bring those children back to life
So that I may hug them
Embrace them
Cradle each and everyone of them
Tell them that I love them just as they are
It does get better
What we say
It will get better
We tell ourselves as we go to sleep
Lying in our beds
Staring at the ceiling
Wondering why

And then there's this:
This video below sums up so much of what I want to say. Please pass it on to family and friends.  Let's do what we can to help teenagers and adolescents understand that it does get better and we do love them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax96cghOnY4
PLEASE Watch and share with others.


Now, let's talk about what we can do to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment