Thursday, October 14, 2010

Netflix Suggests For You "Female Empowerment Films That Stick It To The Man"


Personally I strongly appreciate films that have the woman going on her own personal journey, and if she finds love that's great, but if she needs the time to discover more about herself that is equally as great.  Why does Hollywood feel the need to have the happy ending of princess meets her prince charming at the end of many modern day movies?  Yes, I realize it sells more tickets and it's what many women try to believe in, but can't we just be realistic and tell ourselves it doesn't always end happily ever after?  Or maybe I'm just a cynic when it comes to this. I'd like to think I'm a positive person and think the best out of situations, but I also pride myself on being realistic and realizing that majority of the time life doesn't always work out like it does in the movies.  This is also why I have such a love for independent or foreign films.  They get it.  Hollywood is just so commercial and tries to appeal to the majority of the population.  But if the majority of us believe in the movies we're seeing (and maybe I'm just the one who's lost here) then why are so many women nowadays searching for their independence, waiting to get married or not getting married at all, and telling men to suck it.

I do enjoy the feeling I get after watching female empowerment movies such as "Whip It," "Easy A," and "He's Just Not That Into You" (this one's questionable) where they're basically reiterating the idea that women do not need men to be happy.  NOTE:  If you haven't seen any/some or any of these films I am referring to below, I would still love to hear your thoughts regarding female empowerment movies that ultimately have the main character finding her way back to the arms of man at the end of it all.  

Are there such films for men?  There doesn't seem to be a genre on Netflix titled: "Empowering Men Movies That Tell Females To Fuck Off"... or maybe I just haven't come across it yet.  The only ones that come to mind right now are "Fatal Attraction" (which basically just says "women are crazy!!!"), "He's Just Not That Into You" (again, I know, but it cover both the masculine and female categories of empowerment), and "Old School" (she broke my heart so let's create a Fraternity).

More on this coming soon, but these are just thoughts I've been working on as of late.

No comments:

Post a Comment